"The Ecstasy of Agony" is the eighth episode of Forever. It aired on November 11, 2014.
"Henry and Jo discover there is a fine line between pleasure and pain when the death of a successful businessman and devoted husband points to a form of ritualized punishment. Henry learns it may be all a question of trust. The man's "domination therapist" comes under scrutiny as a murder suspect, who also wants to help Henry work through his own issues. Flashbacks reveal Henry's emotional story of betrayal after he shares his secret with his first wife, Nora. Meanwhile, Abe is flabbergasted when the object of his intense passion – Maureen Delacroix – his two-time ex-wife, reappears with a tempting offer."
- Christina Brucato as Gwyneth Gaines
- Jason Babinsky as Richard Gaines
- Joel Leffert as Psychiatrist
- Jimmy Palumbo as Jon Worley
- "Sex, drugs, skydiving. It's strange that the things we do for a thrill, in order to make ourselves feel alive, are the same things that may kill us. The same thing is true when it comes to human relationships. The people we love the most are the ones capable of hurting us the most deeply." —Henry
- "It's a fine line between pleasure and pain." —Henry
- "Our body feels pain to warn us of danger. But it also reminds us of we're alive, that we can still feel. That's why some of us seek it out...while others choose to numb it. Solitude has always been my analgesic of choice. But what if feeling nothing is the worst pain of all? What if the sharing of pain connects us to others and reminds us that none of us is alone as long as we can feel it?" —Henry
- Episode recap at Forever official website – archived from the original on November 8, 2015
- Episode at IMDB
- Watch this episode on CW Seed